Ecole Centrale de Lyon is one of the leading scientific graduate schools in France. Steeped in history, Ecole Centrale de Lyon is evolving while continuing to preserve the qualities that fortify its strengths, bolster its prestige and reinforce its appeal. Ranked in the top 5.5% in the 2020 CWUR World University Rankings, some 450 “ingénieurs” (degree equivalent to Master of Science) graduate every year. About 300 researchers work on campus in six main laboratories associated with the French National Centre for Research (CNRS), including the Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology (INL). The INL conducts world-leading multidisciplinary research in the areas of micro and nanotechnologies and their applications. The pioneering research undertaken at the Institute ranges from materials and technology to devices and systems, thus enabling the emergence of dedicated technologies. The Institute is supported in its work by the Nanolyon Technology Platform. INL comprises 200 people including 120 permanent staff and 80 PhD students/postdoctoral fellows. Ecole Centrale de Lyon boasts 17 doctoral schools and offers its doctoral students excellent technical training, flexible lab rotations, as well as training and extensive resources in complimentary research skills.
Ecole Centrale de Lyon is hosting the following positions:
EC Lyon university offers to their Doctoral Students a wide range of training, mentoring and support activities, including:
– Mentoring program: The student will be closely supervised by at least 2 supervisors at the Ecole Centrale de Lyon site. The supervisors will be closely involved in the activities of the student and will suggest e.g., specific courses that the student can attend to strengthen his knowledge towards the PhD and collaborations that can provide additional support to achieve the thesis goals.
– Courses and training opportunities: The student will be able to access the full list of the EEA (Electronics, electrotechnics and automation) doctoral school courses of Univ. Lyon.
– Language courses: French courses can be attended free of charge — frequency: 2x per week.
– Relocation support: Espace Ulys is the welcome center for international scientists arriving at the Lyon-Saint Etienne campus. The service provides assistance regarding relocation to PhD students studying or conducting research at Université de Lyon institutions and laboratories. – Cultural and social activities: Cultural and social activities are organised by Espace ULYS: https://espace-ulys.universite-lyon.fr/ulys/site-anglais/ – Engagement with industry: The student will interact with the reference contact at THALES Research & Technology France (Reasoning & Analysis in Complex Systems Lab.) who will provide guidance in the design of the accelerator and in the choice of the benchmarking applications. Such interaction will be beneficial to also acquire a more application-driven perspective of the challenges that need to be solved and the different trade-offs involving also aspects such as costs, volume manufacturing etc.
– Further benefits: Tuition fees for PhD program enrolment are free of charge.